More opportunities for investment in space systems and services
The Australian Space Agency has signed a statement of strategic intent and co-operation with Nova Systems, opening the door for greater joint investment in space systems and services.
The statement was signed after the 6th South Australia Space Forum by Dr Megan Clark AC, head of the Australian Space Agency, and Peter Nikoloff, director of Nova Group.
“Space activities are a global business. We are looking to this next generation of Australian companies like Nova Systems to help build the capability and competitiveness of Australia’s space sector,” Dr Clark said.
“We want to inspire young Australians to pursue an education in STEM and support our space endeavours. We thank Nova Systems for their commitment to deliver specialist capability training to ensure a pipeline of thriving space engineers, leaders and entrepreneurs.”
Minister for Industry, Science and Technology Karen Andrews said the move will support the next generation of space entrepreneurs.
“The Liberal-National government is committed to supporting projects and partnerships in our space sector to create more Australian jobs and boost our economic growth,” Minister Andrews said.
“The Australian Space Agency will help triple the size of our space sector to $12 billion annually by 2030, and create up to 20,000 new jobs, by working with partners like Nova Systems."
Nova Systems said it is committed to "enhancing the capability and competitiveness of the Australian space sector" by supporting:
- Future satellite communications through the development of a combined commercial, research and development, and training and simulation ground station;
- Tackling the predictive and interpretation aspects of space situational awareness for the nation’s space-based infrastructure and improving the user-data interface;
- Specialist training and support to Australian industry and government in negotiating the certification and regulation of space systems;
- Provision of capability assurance services to enable Australasian space launch; and
- Student internships to support the development of Australia’s future space engineers.
“Nova Systems has a strategic interest in solving problems of national interest through enabling satellite communications, next generation ground stations and space situational technologies," said Nova Systems Australia chief executive Steven Robinson.
“We are excited to collaborate and support projects and partnerships in the space sector that contribute to the generation of jobs, innovation and growth within the Australian economy.”
The federal government established the Australian Space Agency in July and will invest $41 million over the first four years of its development, as it aims to grow a globally respected space industry in Australia and use space to lift the national economy.
Receive the latest developments and updates on Australia’s space industry direct to your inbox. Subscribe today to Space Connect here.