NASA confirms SpaceX launch still ‘on track’ despite testing issues
Despite SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft suffering an “anomaly” during static testing, NASA has insisted that the planned cargo launch for next week will still go ahead.
“Earlier today, SpaceX conducted a series of engine tests on a Crew Dragon test vehicle on our test stand at Landing Zone 1 in Cape Canaveral, Florida,” a spokesperson from the company said in a statement on 20 April.
“The initial tests completed successfully but the final test resulted in an anomaly on the test stand.
“Ensuring that our systems meet rigorous safety standards and detecting anomalies like this prior to flight are the main reasons why we test.
“Our teams are investigating and working closely with our NASA partners.”
The spacecraft is still aiming to launch its robotic resupply mission to the International Space Station on 1 May, according to an official statement from NASA public affairs officer Joshua Finch.
"The NASA and SpaceX teams are still assessing the anomaly that occurred," Finch said, "but I can tell you we are still tracking, as of today, for Tuesday, April 30, and that launch will be at 4:22 am Eastern time."
The launch had already been delayed by four days due to station and orbital mechanics restraints, but it doesn't appear that the testing issues for Crew Dragon will delay it further.
Receive the latest developments and updates on Australia’s space industry direct to you inbox. Subscribe today to Space Connect here.