The multi-year contract, which includes options for extension, will see Clearbox Systems design and implement the Aggregated Monitoring and Control System (AM&CS) to provide remote, centralised operation of Defence's SATCOM ground and space assets in Australia and abroad.
Currently, various SATCOM capabilities are operated in ‘silos’ causing operators to have to navigate through multiple systems to complete everyday tasks.
The AM&CS will make use of Clearbox Systems’ SATCOM technology to integrate these silos. This will allow Defence to better meet its growing bandwidth needs by making more efficient use of equipment and radio frequency resources as they become available.
Jeremy Hallett, executive director of Clearbox Systems, commented, "Our entry into the Defence market over a decade ago was on the back of our leading SATCOM solutions.
"It is gratifying that the quality of our work over that time has been recognised through the award of this Prime Contract to deliver an enhanced SATCOM capability to Defence. We look forward the continuing our close engagement with Defence and ensuring its global SATCOM networks are secure and easy to use."
The value of the award to date is $12.1 million with the contract allowing for future task orders as the program progresses.
Clearbox Systems is a 100 per cent Australian, veteran owned technology company focused on developing new approaches and techniques for the operations and management of communications networks and the electromagnetic spectrum.
Clearbox Systems has a number of specialisations including:
- Equipment and sensor monitoring and control, which consolidates the operations of equipment and sensors into a single user interface;
- Spectrum monitoring and management, which provides automatic monitoring and surveillance of spectrum with advanced measurement techniques;
- Network management and operation support systems, to provide operational context to equipment and spectrum resources to enable service delivery;
- Heterogeneous signal processing systems, to enable non-proprietary method for sensing and processing signals; and
- Systems integration and support services, to deliver turn-key systems using best-of-breed components and considering total cost of ownership.
Additionally, Clearbox has specialisations in the following business lines:
- Satellite communications;
- Space domain awareness;
- Intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance and electronic warfare (ISREW);
- Broadcast, media and telecommunications; and
- Secure communications.
Work has commenced to deploy the system with Clearbox Systems providing locally developed products as well as specialist software engineering, integration and cyber security services. The work is building on over a decade of contribution to Defence's SATCOM capability.
The work is being conducted out of Clearbox Systems' secure facilities in Sydney and Canberra and has led to the creation of new specialist engineering roles within the company.
Receive the latest developments and updates on Australia’s space industry direct to your inbox. Subscribe today to Space Connect here.